Sunday, April 13, 2008

Arrival in Prishtina

I've made it to Prishtina (or Pristina) after about 27 hours of travel. What I have seen between the airport and the hotel is a city that is both brand new and rather run down. Lots of new construction, but equally as much that needs repair. It's surrounded by a lush, green farmed countryside, with cows and chickens running loose (well, the cows were standing, not running). It's rolling hills with mountains in the background.

I'd include photos but my bag with the camera did not make the trip, and is un-accounted for. Fortunately I have the essentials with me: laptop, pda, and enough clothes for a few days. (I've only checked a bag 3 times in the last 4-5 years, and 2 of those 3 the bag went missing. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this one turns up eventually.)

I'm at the Hotel Ambasador, another example of old and new. The Wifi is great, so I'll be able to stay in touch. Everything else is what we in the US would consider minimal, but here is found in the luxury hotel. (Those photos on the web page -- Photoshop!)

Tomorrow is a day of meetings and ceremonies. I'll try to keep good notes and report on the events.

No comments: